Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Get Out and Get Giving


If anyone’s looking for me on Saturday night, Oct. 16, I’ll be at the Cleveland Botanical Garden. And you’re welcome to join me at Sweetest Day Delights for hors d’oeuvres, drinks, and an over-the-top array of desserts to sample. But I won’t have time for chit chat because I’m on the job, one of 16 judges who will decide the winner of this year’s Creative Confection Competition.
The evening, a benefit for the Art Therapy Studio, brings established pastry chefs and up-comers from various culinary programs around town together for a friendly food fight.

Contenders prepare fabulous cakes, tortes, tarts, trifles, and all sorts of other inspired treats. We officials must sample the entries, rate them for taste and visual appeal and pick the winners for Best of Show, Most Decadently Delicious and Most Artistic. Please don’t take it personality if I respond to friendly greetings with a eyes glazed over and a blank stare- odds are, based on my past experience as a judge for this bi-annual event, by the time I come out of seclusion to mix and mingle I will be in one serious sugar coma. Reservations required. Make yours here.

photos of 2008 winners
Also on my calendar of upcoming activities is a Bourbon Tasting at the fabulous Taxel Image Group photography studio on Oct 21. The hosts for the evening are my husband, Barney Taxel, and Diana Greenberg, event planner and one of the founders of Sprout Connections, a power networking group devoted to fun and fundraising. Joe De Luca, spirit savant and proprietor of the recently opened Apothecary, a cocktail parlor in Lakewood, will be leading the guided tour of seven unique aged whiskies- including a liquid surprise at the finish.
Pours come from Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Old Forrester, Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek. and Jim Beam. Come join us as we learn about small batch distilling, mash mixtures and single barrel production. Tickets are $25 per person and can be purchased online. A portion of the proceeds benefits City Music Cleveland’s educational programs. And you won’t leave hungry, I promise. Terry Tarantino and his cooks at La Strada and La Dolce Vita Bistro will be providing food. No doubt, we’ll eat and drink well.

No comments: