Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New Kid on the Cyber Block

There’s a terrific new website for those who are passionate about cooking and eating local food. The person behind the stories, recipes, and tips is my friend and fellow writer Marilou Suszko . She’s also the author of a delightful cookbook that celebrates the state’s bounty: Farms & Foods Of Ohio: From Garden Gate to Dinner Plate. She first met many of the growers and producers she writes about during the year she did her research for that project. I like the way she talks about these people and her relationship with food. Her style is warm, personal and welcoming. You get to know her too.

Marilou’s an experienced culinary teacher and the kitchen expertise she shares is really helpful. I followed her advice for how to grill corn on the cob and it turned out great- in fact the best I’ve ever done. (The secret’s in the soak- it takes a lot more time than I thought).

A gang of urban deer that have claimed my Cleveland Heights ‘hood as their turf, have left few tomatoes on the vines in my garden. If those remaining fail to ripen – a possibility that seems more and more likely thanks to too many cool summer nights- then I will definitely try the intriguing recipe she’s put up for Green Tomato Cake .

No comments: