Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Eat, Drink, and Say Bow-Wow





Dog days are those long, hot, slow-moving often muggy ones that happen between July and September that make you want to do nothing but sit and sip cold beverages. Some over-achievers and Type-A personalities may dread them, and say thank goodness for air conditioning. But not Chef Paul Jagielski, owner of Henry's at the Barn, a restaurant in Avon that specializes in Carolina Low Country cuisine. He not only welcomes the season but kicks it off early with his second annual Dog Daze of Summer Wine Festival, Sunday May 17 from 1pm-4pm. $35.00 per person plus tax and gratuity buys you the opportunity to kick back- out on the patio if the weather cooperates-with food, music and drink. He’s selected 25 wines for sampling, and will putting out a buffet of Southern delicacies- I tried to pin him down about what’s on the menu but he takes a more spontaneous approach and refused to commit, saying only, “I will be doing appetizers from cheese to ribs, shrimp and what ever comes to mind.” Acoustic guitar and vocals provide a soundtrack for the evening.

I’ll be getting into my own summer state of mind vacationing on Martha’s Vineyard. So I can’t be there-much as I’d like to. But I know that Paul is a terrific chef and is sure to have found some excellent reds and whites to pour. He also has a knack for making guests feel welcome and showing them a good time. So my advice is to make plans to spend Sunday afternoon at his place.

No comments: