Saturday, March 21, 2009

Film Fest: Slow Dance

Thanks to the Cleveland International Film Festival, Demark is at the top of my list for relocation should I ever get deported. With the exception of a few cartoons, the Danes keep a low profile. The European nation looks tidy and compact, the people appear relatively normal, the food edible, and the housing (although a tad small) looks livable. They make good movies too, including a couple of my all-time favorites films.

Dancers is difficult to review without giving away the plot. Even reading the description in the program, as I did, will spoil much of the drama. Here’s the problem. If a romanitc film surrounds a mysterious stranger entering the picture with a mysterious past, once you know who the stranger is, and what his past is, a lot of the thrill is gone. As the viewer, knowing this information keeps you off the edge of your seat. You know what is going to happen; you just sit back and wait for the events to happen.

With this in mind, there are a few things to consider: The acting in Dancers is terrific. The setting is unique, a family-operated dance school in existence since World War II. A middle aged-daughter and her mother live and work amid dance students. The unique setting allows music and dance to easily integrate with the drama. As the final credits roll, this is one of those films where you turn to the person sitting next to you and say, “I think she . . .?“

My feeling for Dancers may have changed considerably had I entered the theater in my normal state of oblivion. A little knowlegde can be a dangerous thing. My advice, if you choose to see Dancers – don’t do your homework.
— Bob Carson
Friday, March 20, 11:45 a.m.; Sunday, March 22, 9:20 p.m. Denmark, Subtitles,100 minutes

No comments: